Thank you for your interest in a career opportunity within The Caryl and Israel Englander Institution for Precision Medicine at the Weill Cornell Medicine.
Genomics Laboratory Technical Specialist (Date Posted: 12/28/2015)
This Genomics Laboratory Technical Specialist, for the Precision Medicine Genomics CLIA-certified lab, will utilize advanced laboratory techniques, computer and bioinformatics skills to develop, validate, perform and troubleshoot complex genomic testing using next generation sequencing technologies. This role requires following regulatory requirements, quality assurance and quality control principles. This person will work closely with laboratory manager, laboratory directors and medical director to plan and implement NGS assays for clinical testing.
- Develops and validates Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) assays for clinical testing. This includes planing, implementing and documenting clinical validation studies for NGS assays. Works closely with manufacturers to implement necessary assays. Defines and documents clinical validation plans. Performs development and validation studies to ensure timely completion, per project deadlines. Documents and prepares development validation studies for review by the Laboratory/Medical Directors.
- Performs the technical duties using a variety of techniques including: DNA extraction, NGS, Sanger sequencing, capillary electrophoresis, and other DNA and RNA-based assays, as necessary. Coordinates with laboratory staff to obtain and finalize SOPs, assay controls, quality controls and reagents.
- Maintains required assay documentation including proper specimen handling, labeling and preparation of worksheets. Updates protocols and databases associated with clinical testing.
- Work with internal and external (vendor) bioinformatics colleagues in order to facilitate data analysis, and data maintenance/data storage.
- Assists with instruction and supervision of students, residents and fellows during their rotations in the molecular genomic clinical laboratory.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Proven success in coordinating work across department lines using communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Office and email, Excel, Powerpoint, Word.
- B.S. in Molecular Biology, Medical technology, Biology, or related degree with at least 5 years of experience processing clinical samples for molecular diagnostic assays or other similar related experience.
- Some experience with NGS and NGS data analysis
Highly Desired Requirements
- Familiarity with high through-put platforms, thermal cyclers and real time PCR, capillary electrophoresis, and other common laboratory methodologies and equipment.
- High attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of working in CLIA-compliant environment preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- NYS licensed Medical Technologist preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical skills
To apply, please email a resume in addition to names and contact addresses of two persons who can provide recommendations letters to:
Caryl and Israel Englander Institute for Precision Medicine
Weill Cornell Medicine/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital